Thursday, November 10, 2011
The article written by Alonso Kramer
Baking is not one of my strong points. My husband says that is putting it lightly. I guess there was a recent teeny tiny incident that might have put my skills further under question than usual. I recently got a new stand mixer, and decided to whip up a batch of cupcakes for a party we were attending. Seems fairly easy, right? It actually went really well. My batter was perfect, they cooked perfectly, I cooled and iced them and we headed to our friend’s house. One little problem—seems that somewhere along the way I forgot to turn the oven off. In my defense, it is a lot of steps to make the perfect cupcake. Luckily, we were barely down the street before I realized I’d forgotten something and we turned around to grab it. Immediately when I stepped in the house, I smelled the gas and shut the oven off. I’m so thankful that I did, as I have a dog and a cat who probably don’t want to breathe in noxious gas fumes. The good news, though, is that we also have an ADT long beach alarm, so once the sensor detected the carbon monoxide, an alarm would have sounded and the proper authorities would have been called. In the end it probably wouldn’t have been a disaster, but I will be staying away from baking for a while. Just in case.